Diploma in Nautical Science course eligibility, scope, jobs and salary details:-
What is DNS in Merchant Navy?
DNS stands for Diploma in Nautical Science; it is a job oriented course that will help one build a career in Merchant Navy. It is a 1 year long Diploma course. The 1 year long course is usually divided into 2 semesters, with each semester lasting a period of 6 months. The course trains candidates to take on the role of Navigation Officer on Merchant Navy ships. It also covers basics of Marine Technical Knowledge, Safety and Fire Prevention, Communication Skills etc.
Some important subjects covered in this course are:-
- Applied Mathematics
- Applied Physics
- Applied Chemistry
- Applied Science
- Navigation Chart Work
- Marine Electrical and Electronics
- Navigation Meteorology
- Communication Skills
- Shipping Commerce
- Maritime Laws
- Human Resource Management
Apart from theory classes, lab as well as workshop sessions are also present in Diploma in Nautical Science course.
DNS COURSE ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA:-
There are three main Eligibility Criteria for taking admission in DNS Course – Educational qualification, Medical/Physical standards and Age of the candidate.
- Educational Qualification: – 12th Pass (from a Recognized Board) with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics, with min 50-60% marks. B.Sc. Degree holders (subjects like Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics) may also pursue this course. Engineering (B.E./B.Tech.) Graduates (any branch) may also pursue this course min 50-60% marks.
- Medical Test: – Candidate must be mentally and physically fit. You must have your eyesight 6/6 and you must not have color blindness.
- Age Limit: – Your age should be between (17&half to 25).
SCOPE, JOBS AND SALARY DETAILS:-
After completing Diploma in Nautical Science course, one may become a training cadet. After gaining 18 months of sea service period, one may appear for 2nd Mate Exam. After clearing it, one will be able to become 2nd Officer. After gaining further sea service period and appearing for further advanced tests, one may rise through Ranks and become Chief Officer. With time, it is very much possible to become a Captain too. Starting salary is generally between 30-40k Rupees per month. With each promotion, this figure will increase. Salary also depends on the profile of the employer. The pay package is decent and with promotions, things will only get better.